Friday, October 1, 2010

The Blessing of Roomates

Coming here to Fayetteville, I was defiantely most nervous about coming into a new place where I knew only a few people. The community of believers whom I have been so incredibly blessed to be surrounded by in West County made it so difficult to leave STL for school. I had prepared myself for the worst, already telling myself that I just needed to stop comparing my new life to back home because there was no way I could ever be surrounded by such an incredible spiritual family.

Thinking about it a couple months later, all I can say is praise God for allowing me to live in such an incredible community of girls. My roomates are the sweetest gift from the Lord and I just thank God for each of them, their quirks, their wisdom, the way we just laugh together! The encouragement that come through our sisterhood in Christ is something I cannot put into words. Its only been a couple months and already, I just couldn't imagine my life without these three precious girls!
I want to share just a little bit about each of these precious girls who have become sisters to me.
Rachel
When I think of Rachel, I think of how she is wise beyond her years. I think of her bluntness and honesty. Sometimes all I can do is laugh. I love this about her. She has no problem with telling it like it is. But always in a way that comes across gently, maybe from experience or some sense of relateability. For Rachel, it may be really hard to be real sometimes, but when she does open up, it's like I just want to pick her brain for hours. I can relate to her in so many ways. She loves to talk to other people about real stuff in their lives. Her thoughts are so transparent, talking to her is a joy and blessing. I am excited to see what God does in her own life this year...how He is going to honor this increible valnurability that she has. I love getting to be around Rachel...sometimes I don't think she really sees all the gifts and wisdom the Lord has given her. I love Rach's heart for her family....she is just so great at loving them well. Just hearing her talk about them sometimes, makes me realize just how much I have to learn about selfless love for those closest to you.   

 
Kelley
When I think of Kelley, I just can't help but smile. Kelley is full of life, the life Jesus talks about, the one He died to give us. Kelley is one of those people you just love to be around. I have never laughed so hard in my life at some of the things she says. She is so real...I love this about her too. That as goofy as she is sometimes, some of the most encouraging conversations I've had have been with her. I love when I hear her rambling through the door becuase I know that in a matter of 10 seconds she will make it back to my room, come in and I may not get anything done for th next 20 mins, but she aways seems to say exactly what I needed to hear at that very moment...whether its something in her life or asking me about something specific. I feel like whenever I have one of those days and just want to punch satan in the face, Kell will be right next to me, boxing gloves and all. I also see a spirit of persevere in Kelley that blows my mind...she is a fighter. Whenever I think of that verse that talks about fighting the good fight, finishing the race, and keeping the faith...that about sums up Kelley.

 
Heather
Oh my sweet sister friend. When I think of Heather, I think of wisdom and faithfulness. I know that if I ever have a question about anything in scripture or any theological issue, Heather will either have the answer, have a reasource to refer me to, or search for it until she figures it out. Heather is a woman of the Word. And she is so faithful to the Lord...in her time studying His Truth, in her time praying for this minstry, praying for her roomies, praying for the nations. She is so incredibly faithful in the small things, things that I may have never even considered before. Simply getting to live in the room right next to her, I have been more challenged and my eyes have been more opened to areas of my own life where I am lacking a solidity or knowledge or understanding. Jesus in her ministers to my heart daily. Then there's the goofy side of Heather...her laugh changes every time, even in the middle of laughing and even when I have no idea what's so funny, she just makes me laugh. I love that she is so passionate about particular things...spinah leaves, squash, farmer's market, chickens, and microwaves to name a few. I see so much in Heather that I can relate to. I so look forward to her coming home every day and just getting to talk about our days, what the Lord's teaching us, struggles, battle with sin, life really. Our conversations always leave me challenged and encouraged. Most of the time, I dont even think Heather sees how beautiful she is, simply because Christ dwells inside of her.

I am so incredibly blessed to get to be living in community with these three girls this year.





No comments:

Post a Comment