Thursday, September 30, 2010

Love of a Family

Coming to Fayetteville and leaving behind an incredible community of believers was a challenge for me. But tonight as I sat down to reflect on how the Lord has already surounded me with such an incredible community, I realized that aisde from my roomates, there is one ministry where I feel at home, like they are already family to me. The Lord put Potter's House on my heart long before I even knew that it was affilated with the church I am now attending. On top of that, I was randomly connected to this precious woman of God at New Heights who just happens to work for Potter's House. It was literally like the Lord couldn't have made it any more clear where He desired for me to plug in and serve. And what an incredible gift that this ministry has already been in my life.

Potter's House emulates the love of Christ in every possible dimension of the word. They have such a beautiful heart and genunie love for these kids, kids who are just crying out to be loved. It is like a big family. I just feel at home when I'm around this ministry. I started off spending a couple hours a week tutoring some of the kids, and the next thing I know, God opened the door to continue that as well as leading a small group of fifth grade girls. This is my heart. I love these girls after just two weeks of knowing them.

They are each so unique and beautiful in thier own ways. Crazy sometimes too. Thier laughter brings so much joy to my heart. I just look at their young eyes and can't imagine the incredible plan that I know God has for thier lives...despite the different circumstances they are each up against right now. I just remind myself what a BIG God we serve. The lives they live everyday is unlike anything you or I could probably ever begin to understand....or be okay with. I love that I get to spend time with them every sunday afternoon, sharing a story from the Word, praying for each of them, challenging them in thier walks. Most of all, I love just getting to know each one of them...hearing thier heart, learning what they like and dont like, who their friends are, what their hurts and heartaches are...and just getting to love on them.

Tonight I had all the girls and my wonderful co-leader over for dinner. They requested chicken, spagetti, and corn...such a random combination, but thats what we had! It was so fun to just get to share a meal with them and allow them to just see what it looks like to live in biblical community. The little things about tonight spoke so much to me....just seeing them giggle and blush talking about which boys they thought were cute, being goofy while taking pictures with my camera, gathering around the computer to watch videos, singing and dancing to the latest Justin Beber songs, playing a game of cards together, talking about the best parts of the day. When you look at the life they each come from, taking joy in these glimmers of normalcy and joy in thier precious hearts becomes all the more beautiful, especially when you know that in an hour or two, you have to take them back home, back to a home where they may not get to hear how much they are loved. A home where they may not have enough food to get through the week. A home where they may be waiting for their dad to come back, knowing he probably wont. A home where two or three are crammed into the same bed at night. A home which leaves little prospect of any kind of hope or future for these precious girls.

But PRAISE GOD He sees them, each of them. He knows them. He LOVES them.

Lord, help me to see them with your eyes, to keep loving them even when it is challenging. To pour and pour and pour your love upon them, not because of anything good in me, but because the love of Christ in me compels me to love well, since it was such love that so tramendously transformed my life. Thank you Lord, for lavishing your love upon me, when I just don't deserve it.

Because Your love is better then life, I will PRAISE YOU!








I am soooo excited to get to continue to see what God does in these girls lives over the next few weeks, months and years. I am so incredibly blessed to get to call Potter's House my family.
Check out and support this ministry at:
http://www.newheightschurch.com/serve/potters-house

No comments:

Post a Comment