Thursday, February 3, 2011

Support Needed for Trip to Middle East

Well, I just thought I would post this in the blog world as well, but as many for you know I am heading over to the Middle East in May. My first deadline is fast approaching and I need to be able to buy my plane ticket. In the next 13 days, I need to raise just over $1,000 as we are trying to book the flight on Feburary 15th. I am so incredibly grreatful for those of you have supported me up to this point and would just ask you to pray about supporting me if you havn't.

Also, please just come in agreement with me in prayer that the money will come in over the next week and a half. He is the faithful Provider and I believe those He calls, He equips...spiritually, emotionally, physically, and financially. I would also ask you to lift up the people of the Middle East right now, as all of the conflict going on over there is gaining intensity. I have been recieving a lot of resistance from my family in prepration for this trip and so I would also ask you to pray for thier hearts to soften and just for them to experience peace about me going in a few months, despite the state of turmoil occuring right now.

I've attatched my support letter for more information about my trip and/or how to be apart of supporting me in this mission! 

Friends and Family,
Well it seems like just yesterday I was writing to share all the Lord did in and through my time in Australia. Since getting back home to the states, God has continued to blow my mind with His sovereignty as His beautiful and perfect plans continue to unfold. Just two weeks before preparing to move to Virginia at the end of the summer, God completely shut that door and opened another. Despite my doubts, I knew I had to be obedient to what He was calling me to do, so I packed up my life in St. Louis and made the five hour trek to Fayetteville, Arkansas to pursue my education as a psychology major at the U of A. In the process of searching for a place to live just several weeks before school was to start, I was so incredibly blessed to see God’s hand of provision once again. Through a crazy connection, completely ordained by God, I found this apartment complex in Fayetteville which ended up becoming my first home away from home and so much more.
As it turns out, Woodway is no ordinary apartment complex, but also home to a discipleship program called Lightbearers Ministries http://www.lightbearersconnects.com/. Over the past four months, I have experienced the incredible gift of living in biblical community with my three precious roommates (pictured right), being mentored individually, and attending a discipleship class weekly, where seasoned teachers of the Word are walking us through the Old Testament this semester. In addition to my rent money all going to fund missions work in the 10-40 window, at the close of school in May, I will be going with my roommates and several other Lightbearers students and leaders to serve in the Middle East for ten days. Lightbearers has several global partners located there whom we will be encouraging and assisting with what they are already doing. We will be spending time serving in an orphanage as well as getting to do several home stays with Arab families. Also, we will be supporting an established business of an American family living in the Middle East by serving with them in their duties.

As I have been researching and praying for this country, the Lord has begun to break my heart for the people. This is a nation where “honor killings” are common, which is the practice of husbands or family members killing women and girls because they have allegedly engaged in behavior that goes against social norms. Actually, about 20 women a year lose their life at the hands of the ones they love. The men responsible for such actions, serve less then a year in prison for what they did before being released to resume life. Furthermore, this country is under the rule of a king who limits the amount of religious freedom this highly Muslim nation is permitted to practice. It is crazy to me that in such an incredibly holy land, the God of bible, the One who brought the people through this land to begin with, is not the God being worshipped. Yet what an incredible privilege it is to go to this nation and just love on these people, attributing every good thing in my life back to the glory of the One whose presence once stood on these very grounds.

In preparation for this trip, I am writing for your help in two ways: prayer and financial support. The total cost of the trip is about $3,000 which covers travel expenses, meals, accommodations, and supplies. The first $1,500 is due by February 15th in order to book the plane tickets. The second half will be due May 8th. If you feel led to support me, please make checks payable to Lightbearers ministries and mail to PO Box 9911 Fayetteville, AR 72703. For tax purposes, do not include my name anywhere on the check, but just write it on the envelope. All donations are tax deductible.

Please be praying for the people of the Middle East, for the Lord to begin to soften their hearts. Also, please keep in prayer Lightbearers Ministries, specifically for unity among the team of students and leaders who will be accompanying me in this journey. Pray for our financial needs to be met fully and quickly, as well as for the Lord to just continue to break our hearts for this nation and the people.

With Love,
Courtney
Please check out my blog at http://www.courtosborn.blogspot.com/ for regular updates about all God is doing in my life!

“The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners.” -Isaiah 61:1

No comments:

Post a Comment